Tuesday, December 27, 2011
for sizes child, small adult, large adult
ch 3 counts as dc
With H hook and red,
1. ch 3. 12 DC in last ch from hook, join to first dc. (12 dc)
2. Ch 3, dc in same sp, 2 dc in each dc around, join (24 dc)
3. Ch 3, (2 dc, dc in next) 11 times, 2 dc in last st, join (36 dc)
4. Ch 3, dc in next st, (2 dc, dc in next 2) 11 times, 2 dc in last st, join (48 dc)
(if making child size hat, proceed to step 7)
5. Ch 3, dc in next 2 st, (2 dc, dc in next 3)( 11 times, 2 dc in last st, join (60)
(if making small adult hat, proceed to step 7)
6. Ch 3, dc in next 3 st (2 dc, dc in next 4) 11 times, 2 dc in last st, join (72)
7-14. Ch 3, dc in each dc around, join.
fasten off at end of row 14
1. keeping seam on top, center as you flatten hat. At crease, count 8 stitches to the right. Join red and ch 3. dc in next 14 st (15 dc)
2. Ch 3, decrease, dc in next 9, dec, dc in last (13 dc)
3. Ch 3, dec, dc in next 7, dec, dc in last (11 dc)
4. Ch 3, dec, dc in next 5, dec, dc in last (9 dc)
5. Ch 3, dec, dc in next 3, dec, dc in last (7) fasten off
attach black yarn with sc between 2 dc stitches (ch 1, sc between dc's) around, putting 2 sc in corners of ear flaps, join, fasten off.
Eyes (make 2)
1. With black ch 3, 6 sc in 3rd ch from hook, join, fasten off.
2. Join white with dc, dc in same st. 2 dc in each st around,(12 dc) join, fasten off. 3. join black with sc, sc in same st, 2 sc in each dc around ( 24 sc)
Eyebrows: (Make 2)
1. Ch 9, sc in 2nd ch from hook & each st across (8 sc)
2. Ch 1, sc in each st to end (8 sc) fasten off.
1. with Yellow, ch 12, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across.(11 sc)
2. Ch 1, dec, sc in next 5, dec, sc in last st.
3. Ch 1, dec, sc in next 3, dec, sc in last st.
4. Ch 1, dec, sc in next, dec, sc in last st.
5. Ch 1 dec, dec
6. Ch 1, dec, fasten off
ch 10, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each across. repeat rows 3-6
1. With red, ch 2, 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook, do not join (4 sc)
2. sc in each st around (4 sc)
3. 2 sc, sc in next, repeat (6 sc)
4. sc in each sc around (6 sc)
5. (2 sc, sc in next 2) repeat (8 sc)
6. sc in each sc around, sl st in next sc, fasten off.
repeat 1st 4 rows for 2nd feather
Sew feathers to top of hat. Arrange facial features on front of hat and sew in place.
Tie 1 red and 1 black 12 inch length of yarn to each ear flap in center. Twist each strand clockwise and wrap together counterclockwise. Tie at ends.
Thursday, December 15, 2011
I was looking for something to crochet for my husband just for fun and decided on a Jamie Hyneman Mythbusters "action figure." Of course, when he was completed, our 6 year old decided it was his and my husband never got to touch it. Such is life. A friend saw a photo on my Facebook Page and asked me to make her one, and make an Adam Savage to go along with it. I mentioned offhand that it made me want to make the Mythbusters logo as well so she asked me to go for it! Here they are in their completion. I'm tempted to do a whole series of Mythbusters characters; Kari, Tory,and Grant.
I started each doll with a "magic circle" of 6 sc, increased over a couple rows, then decreased for the neck and rapidly increased for the body, leaving holes for the arms. The hardest part for me was the feet. I went back and forth across the top of the doot for a few rows, then around the whole thing again for the sided if the shoes, inserted a pipe cleaner around the inside of the shoe, then decreased every stitch around and sewed closed. I added the arms at the armholes, but didn't stuff them so I could cross them when they were finished. Then I embroidered the facial features. I sure hope she likes the finished product!