Sunday, December 2, 2012

Vintage white hat with ruffled brim




With white yarn (I used Caron Simply soft) and G hook,
*changes for child size hat are in brackets [ ]
1. 6 sc in  magic circle
2. in back loop only, 2 sc in each sc (12 sc)
3. (sc, 2 sc in next) 6 times (18sc)
4. (sc in next 2, 2 sc) 6 times (24 sc)
5. (sc in next 3, 2 sc) 6 times, (30 sc)
6. (sc in next 4, 2 sc) 6 times (36 sc)
7. (sc in next 5, 2 sc) 6 times (42 sc)
8. (sc in next 6, 2 sc) 6 times (48 sc)
9. (sc in next 7, 2 sc) 6 times (54 sc)
10. (sc in next 8, 2 sc) 6 times (60 sc)*if making a child size hat, proceed to step 14
11. (sc in next 9, 2 sc) 6 times (66 sc)
12. (sc in next 10, 2 sc) 6 times (72 sc)
13. (sc in next 11, 2 sc) 6 times (78 sc)
14. *skip next 2 sc (dc, ch1, dc) (v stitch made) in next sc* repeat around (26 v stitches made)[20 v stitches]
15. sk next sc, sc in each dc and each ch1 around (78 sc) [60 sc]
16-18. sc in each sc around (78 sc)[60 sc-for child size had, skip row 18 and proceed to 19]
19.-28 repeat rows 14-18 twice
29. Repeat row 14 30. (sc in dc, 2 sc in ch 1, sc in dc, 2 sc in next dc, sc in ch1, 2 sc in dc) repeat around (117 sc) [90 sc]
31. (sc in next 2, 2 sc) around (156 sc)[120-child size hat, sl st next 2, fasten off]
32.(sc in next 3, 2 sc) around (195 sc)
 sl st in next 2 sc, fasten off.



18 comments:

  1. Can this be made for a child? hat would the changes be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not made a child size version, but I would stop increasing a few rows early depending on how small the child is...I'll have to work up a child size version and include the changes in this pattern, thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
    2. child size changes are included in pattern now in brackets! Let me know how it turns out. :-)

      Delete
    3. I have a little bigger head than the head you show here, so I enlarged it to 17 rows, and continued the rest of the hat. I have some hair issues. I love how this helps with them. I love the recount of the vintage time in this hat. Thank you for such an awesome hat, it looks terrific.

      Delete
  2. About how much yarn does this call for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please give yardage/# of skeins.

      Delete
    2. appx 108 yards. The yarn balled up is about the size of a softball.

      Delete
  3. This is a very sweet hat and would look darling with some ribbon weaved through the row next to the ruffled brim....I may try that. thank you for sharing the pattern...it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought that too! I'd love to see it if you do it :-)

      Delete
  4. AS a former craft writer, may I offer a suggestion. When creating, it's difficult to keep track of yardage the first time something is made. You can get an estimate by weighing the article after it's finished. That's a great help for those of use who want to use yarn from our "stash". I'm going to try making it with an F hook so that it will be a trifle smaller for use as a 'chemo' cap.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the suggestions! I tore one apart and it was appx 108 yards, the ball was about the size of a softball.

      Delete
  5. Love love this, making matching ones for my girls and I :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am a new crocheter and would like to ask a question what does it mean on this pattern where you have in the bracketssc in next 5,2sc

    ReplyDelete
  7. you would stitch a sc in the next 5 stitches, then put 2 sc in the one after that. This increases the diameter of the hat incrementally. Hope this helps! Please ask if you need more clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute for a spring or even a summer hat! Maybe with a ribbon...I'll be making this one!

    ReplyDelete