Friday, December 18, 2020

Little leaves shawl pattern

 One of my oldest friend's mom was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. As if 2020 wasn't bad enough! She had surgery and underwent chemotherapy. When I asked her if she was warm enough (I've heard people on chemo get cold) she said she'd appreciate a shawl. I have a favorite knit pattern here so I decided to modify it a bit to suit her needs because I crochet so much faster than I knit. It's warm and cozy (instead of light and lacy, like the original - another reason for my choices of crochet stitches and ww yarn) and I hope that since I can't hug her in person (I'm very frustrated with social distancing!) that maybe this will remind her of how much she is loved. 

This shawl is a simple 6 stitch repeat that is worked end to end. Make it any length, width, and color you choose (this on is about 25 inches wide and 46 inches long). I like them big and full-coverage so that's how I made this.  I used leftover yarn from 3 different skeins and I thought the warm, fiery color scheme was appropriate. Fire colors also remind me of the mythical Phoenix, who burst into flames at the end of their lives and are reborn from the ashes.  My friend's mom has certainly been put through the fire this year! 

You'll need to know how to decrease over 3 stitches with double crochet (see how here), DC, and chain. 

With an H hook and WW yarn (I used Bernat) chain a multiple of 6, plus 4, plus one more. I chained 95.

1. DC in 3rd chain from hook and each chain to the end. Turn.

2. Ch 3 (counts as stitch), DC in next. (Ch 1, 3dctog, ch1, DC in next 3) repeat to last 2 stitches. DC in last 2 stitches. Turn.

3. Ch 3, DC in next, (ch 1, 3dctog, ch 1, DC over ch 1 sp, DC in top of 3dctog, DC over ch 1) turn

 Repeat row 3 to desired length.

No comments:

Post a Comment