Saturday, January 14, 2023

the start of my crochet journey

I've been putting graphs and a few written patterns on here for years but I want to get away from that and just create. This blog is going in a new direction and I think I'm going to put my story on here to start it off. 

When I was 19 my paternal grandma died. We weren't close, but she taught me how to crochet, or at least she started to. I made a square that was more trapezoidal in shape and called it good. Fast forward a few years and I married my long-time boyfriend (we started dating a couple months after "Grandma E" died). A few months after that one of my best friends called me crying about her rotten so and so of a husband and I sped the 10 miles or so to her home, told her to pack up some clothes for her and their kid and come spend the night  with me. I won't get into the drama that caused,  but she and their son stayed with us for a few months and since she and I worked 1st shift and my husband worked 2nd, I spent my evenings with her building on what my grandma taught me about crochet. Did I mention that my friend crocheted? No, I didn't...but she did! She showed me her crochet project and I figured I'd join in.  My first finished project was a granny square blanket in all different colors randomly placed. I don't have it  anymore, but I remember the first square was probably twice the size of all the others! When my friend moved out I had something to occupy my time so I learned to read crochet patterns and made Christmas gifts.

Now I like making things, any things, all things! I love crafting. Before my friend moved in with us I was bead weaving and stringing beads for necklaces and bracelets.  But all of my projects are for a limited time until I move on to something else. Until I learned to crochet!! I've been crocheting most every day for almost 23 years now. I found my real passion. I think that we need to find what we really love to do and then do that. My husband told me he was afraid that if I started crocheting for money I wouldn't like to do it anymore. Well, there are times when I feel overwhelmed that I have a backlog of paid projects to complete and no time to try this or that thing I saw and wanted to make but other than that, no, it hasn't happened. I've slowed down a bit in the last few years, but nothing has stopped me. I may need to take a break to rest my muscles or joints, but I still love it and I still want to do it.

Go find your passion. Then do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment