Tuesday, January 1, 2019

anxiety blanket

Weighted blankets have been in use for years to treat symptoms of sensory processing issues, but recently there is a lot of hype to treat insomnia and anxiety as well.  I have a close friend with anxiety and depression who often half-jokes about being out of order when her emotional issues flare up.  I created this graph as use for a weighted blanket with her in mind.
I plan on using 2 strands of WW yarn such as Red Heart when I make this (but using a chunky or bulky yarn would work too) with a J hook and 1 sc per graph square.  A commercially manufactured weighted blanket may have actual weights sewn in between the layers, but there is no need for that when using 2 strands or a super bulky yarn.  The effectiveness of the weighted blankets come from the heaviness of the total blanket, not from the individual beads sewn inside.  If you'd like to make it a lighter, regular throw, just use 1 strand of WW yarn.

If' you'd like to try this afghan for yourself, please email me at kendrascrochet@gmail.com with "out of order" in the subject line.  If you have any questions, please put them in the body of your email.  I'd love to see a finished photo of your work, so after you've made it email it to me or share it on Twitter using @kendrascrochet  or Instagram using #kendrascrochetedcreations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment