Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mythbusters

I was looking for something to crochet for my husband just for fun and decided on a Jamie Hyneman Mythbusters "action figure." Of course, when he was completed, our 6 year old decided it was his and my husband never got to touch it. Such is life. A friend saw a photo on my Facebook Page and asked me to make her one, and make an Adam Savage to go along with it. I mentioned offhand that it made me want to make the Mythbusters logo as well so she asked me to go for it! Here they are in their completion. I'm tempted to do a whole series of Mythbusters characters; Kari, Tory,and Grant.

I started each doll with a "magic circle" of 6 sc, increased over a couple rows, then decreased for the neck and rapidly increased for the body, leaving holes for the arms. The hardest part for me was the feet. I went back and forth across the top of the doot for a few rows, then around the whole thing again for the sided if the shoes, inserted a pipe cleaner  around the inside of the shoe, then decreased every stitch around and sewed closed. I added the arms at the armholes, but didn't stuff them so I could cross them when they were finished. Then I embroidered the facial features. I sure hope she likes the finished product!


4 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!! My husband and son would get such a kick out of these!! Myth Busters is on at our house constantly!!! <3 What a great idea!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like them! Let me know if you try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome!! Would you happen to have a pattern that you would like to share?
    My email is pennymaytaylor@gmail.com if you want to get a hold of me.
    I think you are quite an artist with yarn! I have only been crocheting for a few years but I like trying different patterns and such. I would love to give this a try! Mythbusters is one of my favorite shows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliment, Penny! I didn't have or create a pattern for these figures, but maybe I should. I've received a few requests for it.
    In the body of this post I wrote a quick description of what I did to make them. Using this as a guide, you may be able to create your own!

    ReplyDelete