Saturday, January 11, 2020

Minecraft creeper hooded blanket pattern

I was asked for a "Minecraft themed blanket" with a hood recently.  I don't know Minecraft so I did a quick google search and found something called a "Creeper" which is apparently the main antagonist of the game.  It looked almost camouflage with it's different shades of green pixelations, but I had copious amounts of green yarn recently donated to me so I chose 2 shades only and set to work.  I decided to keep it more simple than the random colors shown and decided on a checkerboard pattern instead.  Simply put, the checkerboard is 2 rows of alternating shades every 4 stitches, then change which shade goes where and repeat for 2 rows.

J hook
2 shades of green worsted weight yarn.  I used Red Heart Paddy green, and Mary Maxim Starlette Grass Green

Chain 189 (or a multiple of 4 +1 to desired length)
1. Dc in 3rd ch from hook and next 2, changing to second shade of green. dc in next 4, changing back to first shade. Repeat pattern to the end of he chain, using 4 dc of each shade, alternately
2. Ch 3, dc in next 3, changing to other shade. dc in next 4, changing back. Repeat to the end.
3. Changing to second shade of green, ch3. dc in next 3.

Repeat pattern throughout blanket, changing shades every 2 rows so that the colors form a checkerboard pattern.

Graphed out Creeper face
The hood, I had trouble with and would do differently if I had to do one again.  As stated before, it was to be a hooded blanket and I have a certain way of doing hooded blankets and instead of taking time to think about a different way to do it, I spent my time thinking of a way to make the design come out right in my traditional method. I got out my trusty graph paper and outlined  how many squares I needed for the hood (I use one third of the blanket width). then I graphed out the face.  Well, this isnt going to work because I sew one edge to itself to make the top of the hood so I had to cut the graph paper in the middle of the face.  Then I folded it up at a 45° angle and transferred it to the top of the outline. Mirror it for the other side and this is what  you get:

From graph to crochet!
My young teen recognized my finished product as Minecraft and seemed delighted with it so I called it good and sent it on to its new owner.

Finished design.  Not happy with the
results because the eyes are folded over.

No comments:

Post a Comment