Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Smoother lines on graphghan designs

clunky stair step lines
Don't you hate that stair step look when you work on a graph and change colors?  You know the thing I'm talking about, the outline of  a design worked out on graph paper that doesn't have a smooth line when it angles to the side. Drives me crazy!  I figured out a way to smooth out those clunky stair step lines and I like my designs better now!

There's a simple fix.  It involves increases and decreases.   That's it. Very simple fix for a very frustrating problem.  My Olaf afghan has a lot of angles and this method worked great on smoothing the outlines out. I made a few of them for a Frozen 2 party where I'll be selling them.

Anyway, when you come to a color change that doesn't line up with the row before, that's when you increase and decrease the colors.  For example, the buttons on Olaf.  They're sort of circular so they involve color changes that aren't lined up.
Increase the number of black

At this particular point in the Olaf Afghan, the button on Olaf's front is getting wider as we work it, so when we come to the edge of the button we increase the number of black stitches. Of course, the first side we come to isn't shown (oops!), but I first decreased on the 2 stitches before the button then increased the first of the black stitches. The most important thing to do is to keep count!  Make absolute sure that you have the same number of stitches in each row and make sure that you have the correct number of each color in each row.

If you do this you will end up with smoother lines in your afghans. Of course, not every line will allow this.  That's ok.  Do it when you can and the overall appearance will be much less clunky and more professional.
Decrease the white

One tip on the Olaf afghan: There are lines to show where the legs attach to the body and where the head attaches as well.  They are lines of single stitches.  When they angle off to one side or another, put an increase/decrease before the line, put the (in this case, gray) outline stitch in the outline stitch from the row before, then increase/decrease after it.

If you have any questions about this please email me and I'll do what I can to help you.
Smooth lines!


1 comment: